Sunday, October 29, 2006

Party Pooper

I often wonder what possesses people to drink so heavily that they achieve a BAC of .39 and wind up in the hospital. (Let alone the infinite other BACs below that, which are equally as stupid)

Now don't be under the assumption that I'm against drinking. I drink from time to time, but probably considerably less than that of my peers. To put it quite frankly, I think alcohol is extremely overrated. Sure it's nice to get loosen up from time to time, and it can be helpful during certain situations, but I often I think I have just as much fun (if not more) when sober and with friends, than when I'm drunk.

Why don't I like to drink? No, it's not because I do/say less embarrassing things without alcohol, cause I can honestly say that I only regret one alcohol related incident that I caused. Actually, outside of that incident I’ve yet to do/say anything really regretful. I don't spill my heart, (trick question: Dr. House is heartless) I don’t have unfortunate hookups (or fortunate ones for that matter) and I don’t put my friends in any situations that I would be pissed that they put me in. (Like the way I worded that one?) All things considered, I keep a very strong grasp on my better judgment. I can't really explain it, but I like being more aware and competent than being under the influence. Although, it would seem that I’ve missed out on a number of life experiences because of it. I wonder if it’s for the better.

Does that make me a prude/kill joy? Possibly, but I never ever get on anyone's case about drinking. God knows I’ve gone plenty out of my way to supply my friends with their fuel, and places to burn their fuel, and rides to and from these locations for that matter. (Yeah, I’m a huge tool) So, don’t even start accusing me of thinking that I’m holier-than-thou for avoiding the bottle, because I approve of its consumption fully when it’s in responsible moderation. (I’m holier-than-thou because I’m completely self-sacrificing to my friends! (Heh, that’s a joke.)) When it comes down to it I probably don’t drink that much because I’m more useful to my friends when sober and God knows that I like to feel needed. That’s an entirely different self-psychoanalysis entry though.

What I don’t understand though is how people get to the point of near (and actual) death. Do they drink that much to prove something? Is it because they can’t get the same sensation that they use to be able to with a lesser amount? Can a bad situation really drive someone to the bottle that hard? What’s the deal? I have a very hard time ever feeling bad for these people and I wish I could better understand how they get to that point. Does this make me a judgmental asshole? Yes, but I’m sorry if I hold the human race to a higher standard. I think people should be able to take bad situations and deal with them without the bottle.

Tonight, Roommate texted me that he was at the hospital with his friend who managed the feat of getting a .39 BAC. He concluded the text with his friend being “lucky to be alive.” Like the jerk I am, I responded with, “But he’s not so lucky to be stupid enough to get like that.” To be honest, I don’t regret saying that in the least. He did that to himself and he’s dealing with the consequences of his actions. I’m willing to alter my opinion of the situation with more information, but as of now I think the guys is a jerk.

Disclaimer: I have drunk to the point of blacking out, passing out, puking (not always where I want to) and taking naps with my head on toilet seats. I tell you this not to impress you in anyway. (I don’t know why it would) But to just put it out there that I too have gotten completely smashed and all the steps in between.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. A staunchly teetotaling male friend of mine was coaxed into tasting some alcohol by supposedly trustworthy friends recently. These caring friends, knowing that he had never tasted alcohol before and had no alcohol tolerance level whatsoever, decided that the best inroduction for him would be 4 consecutive shots of tequila. By the morning my hitherto saintly friend had stripped, sung The Little Mermaid songs, danced on a tabletop, fallen down some stairs and woke nose-to-nose with a man. He is now a firm believer in the evils of alcohol.

By the way, I've added you to my blogroll. I hope you don't mind the category heading I've given you :)

Anonymous said...

Tequila is no fun. After one shot and a really strong, disgusting margherita, I wanted to puke my brains out.

Anonymous said...

That's a great category title for me. I only wish I had something equally as good to put you under.

:-/

Anonymous said...

The chronic alcoholics have frightening BALs. I've seen many of them go into DT's from alcohol withdrawl while still being legally drunk.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love alcohol but I find I'm happiest at the two drink level. I get that warm fuzzy feeling without any regrets the next day. I love red wine and it allows me the opportunity to sip and enjoy every bit. I can drink four or five but it has to be over a long period of time with water and some sort of activity like dancing, but that's like a once or twice a year thing. My days of drinking for the sake of getting drunk are over. (thank goodness)