Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Let's Help Me Out Again

I have the last two questions of my Premedical Committee Autobiography for everyone to look at.

A career in the medical profession requires a commitment to learning throughout one's career. Please comment, in-depth, on an academic experience that has fostered this commitment in you.

I realized early on in my undergraduate career that my interest for medicine could and did go above and beyond what was required in my classes. In my Human Biology class the basics of the organ systems were presented to us and also common disorders associated with them. Since this was a non-major course the professor would spare the other students from over-burdening them with the more in depth processes of the body. But what I was presented with in class would often leave me with many questions. I would often either ask plenty of follow-up questions in class, or more often I would research these topics independently. This interest was not limited to just the classroom. It is now a regular behavior for me to research any new medical condition that I come across. Whenever my friends are sick I immediately ask them what their symptoms are and what diagnosis and treatment their physician prescribed for them. This is why going to medical school is so important to me, because I see it as a way to finally answer all the questions I have. But even after medical school I cannot see myself without always looking to further my knowledge in order to better my patients.

What factors do you think should be stressed in supporting your application? Are there any weaknesses or gaps in your preparation that concern you? If you have withdrawals or contrasting grades on your transcript that require explanation, take the opportunity to do so at this time.

I think the strongest part of my application is the dedication I’ve put into researching what is required of me to get through medical school. I’m completely aware of the work that needs to be done in order to succeed in medical school and I also have a good understanding of life during residency. I am also confident in my ability to be a physician after my numerous shadowing opportunities. I feel that I’m very capable of developing the clinical skills required to be a competent practitioner. My one withdrawal I may have is what my performance on medical exams may be, since I have never been a traditionally excellent academic student. But one-way I see bettering myself in medical school is by taking part in a Problem Based Learning program. I think that I would excel at this type of learning method above the traditional lecturing method because it is centered around case studies. This is extremely complementary to what I look to get out of a career in medicine. Being approached by daily problems that need to be solved through logical thinking and testing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looove your blog! I'll be checking back :-)
annnd....
The answers you gave were excellent, well done!

Anonymous said...

I think your answers are very concicse and I like how you give specific examples.

Now onto wine: I have found that most wine drinkers generally start out liking sweet white wines and will then move on to drinking dry white wines (chardonnary, sauvignon blanc) then move on to fruity red wines (boujolais and shiraz) before starting to like strong tannic red wines (cabernet sauvignon and merlot).

I found it amusing that you said most people like white wine because my friends and family drink almost exclusively red wine! It may be an age thing or a regional thing (chilled white wine is nice in hot temperatures - I can't remember where you're from right now).

I would recommend you find a local wine shop and drop in from time to time. They'll usually have an open bottle that you can taste while you browse. Try everything and take note of what you like and what you don't. Usually it's a system of trial and error. You'll probably discover a preference for a couple of varietals and then you can start exploring different winemakers. It's actually a lot of fun. Most wine shops (and some specialty grocery stores) will have tastings where you pay ten bucks or something and get to taste five or six different wines in one sitting. They'll usually talk about the wines and you can mentally take notes.

My favorite books on wine is probably "The Vintage Wine Book" by The Sommelier Executive Council. It talks about everything regarding wine. ISBN: 1-56022-009-0

Also google "U.C. Davis Wheel" or as I call it the Smell-o-wheel for fun. You start in the middle and work your way out as you sniff your wine. That's how you get people saying pretentious things like: "It's a saucy little wine filled with the jammy taste of dried fruit and raisins." and other nonsense. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought (and it might be that we interpret things differently here)...by withdrawals on transcipts, aren't they referring to subjects you may have dropped out of?