Sunday, June 03, 2007

When In Rome

I'm here in an internet place on my last day of Rome. It's 10:30AM and the bus isn't picking us up until 2PM. booo. It's also pouring but that's okay cause everyone went to a canonization (make a saint) mass at the vatican so there isn't anyone to hang out with anyway. Well, 3 others didn't go either because we're just far too cool for that. The funny thing is I'm probably the most Catholic of everyone in the group in the sense that I know the most about Catholicism.

Yesterday, we did the Scavi Tour, which is a tour that takes you under St. Peter's to see all of the popes' tombs and you see where St. Peter was buried. The whole experience was actually touching and a real "religious experience." We had a brother (from another mother, of course) give us the tour and he was very good. Our agnostic professor said that he sounded like he was trying to "save our souls" and he was, which was good since he was studying to become a priest. He actually restored my faith in the Roman Catholic organization and faith in general. Not that I was ever really anti-catholic or religion. At the site of St. Peter's bones he had lead us in prayer with the Our Father. Our Jewish professor had said that if he had been in that tour group he would have been kind of upset by that. This comment really pissed me off. I know that in America you can't get away with having in any kind of public setting, but guess what we're not in America. You're in the freaking Vatican, a country dedicated to Catholicism. Just because you're an art historian doesn't mean that you're entitled to walk through these doors and start saying what pleases and displeases you. Sorry that all these great works of art just happen to be there. Had we been in a Buddhist temple or Muslim mosque no one would ever say something like that. Ugh, just the little things that really piss me off.

Anyway, I've been having a ton of fun, but I'm definitely ready to move on to our next place, Tuscania. Rome is nice, and I like the old stuff, but the transportation systems blow, it's impossible to get around without getting lost and the waiters have had real attitudes with us. Granted, we've also had some great waiters who are nothing but entertaining.

The other night we tried to find this restuarant area on the Tiber that our professor suggested to us. To make a long story short, we were walking for 3 hours and end up just going to a place that was right down the street from our hotel. We were so tired and hungry at that point that all 7 of us were in a deep deep state of drunk-tiredness. We couldn't stop laughing at the stupidest things. And of course I had tears rolling down my face the entire time. It was actually a good night in all. But the story is going to end with the casterization of that professor by the 5 girls that he made walk miles and miles in uncomfortable shoes.

I've had enough of blogging and going to find other things to do with my 2euro/hour internet time.
Caio!

(Excuse mispelling and all that. I'm not going to read over it and I don't have built in spell check :-/)

No comments: