Monday, April 07, 2008

Terrible Person?

I just finished watching The English Patient, sparked by seeing that Seinfeld episode one too many times. I've always suspected that I was a heartless person. Well, I kind of know that I'm a heartless person. This somewhat troubles me. But after seeing Brokeback Mountain I thought there was a glimmer of hope that I might have a heart. Evidently, this movie is suppose to really tear you apart inside, so I thought I'd test myself.

End result? Nope, didn't really get that worked up. If you haven't seen it, and plan on seeing it, STOP READING FROM THIS POINT ON!!!!

I don't know. There was something about their relationship that kind of bothered me and it had nothing to do with the fact that she was married. My main problem was with the Count. He seemed kind of crazy, irrational and obsessed. I almost felt like he didn't love her as a person, but as an item. She was like a prize that no one else could have, and he needed her like a drug. I don't know, I guess some people would call this love. I don't know what would need to be different to make it more acceptable to me. I thought the love story between the nurse and Sayid (from LOST) was sadder.

Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy the movie. I wasn't pleading for his death like Elaine, and I would gladly watch it again. In fact I would gladly watch it again to see if there was something I missed in the development of their relationship, but I'm fairly sure that I got an accurate picture of it.

No comments: