Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Relationships

I have always been told that med and PA school will break relationships. This idea has not yet deterred me from still trying to meet people and get myself into a relationship. But recent events have made me think that maybe I'm lucky for not being successful in my endeavors.

Roommate has been in a relationships since freshman year of college, the past 5 years. Last year they stayed together strong, even though they were multiple states away from each other. This year they live in adjacent states, very close to each other, and shit couldn't be going worse. It has been well agreed what the cause of this issue is. GF is not liking the fact that he has a whole new life and she's "stuck" at home, not meeting new people, not where she wants to be professionally, etc. She feels neglected, and I say honestly and objectively that she has no reason to feel like this. I call my friends out when they treat their significant other like shit. Roommate is easily the greatest BF I've ever met, and she's letting her insecurities get in the way of seeing the true situation at hand. Trust me when I say there has been a lot of drama going on.

I have become chief adviser/therapist/bro to Roommate. Not an unfamiliar role, but more intense since this was a relationship that was looking towards marriage - something that people my age are only starting to breach. I've provided all the analysis and advice I can. I know that I'm dead on, and I know that if I were listened to there would be the greatest likelihood for success. This is the kind of stuff I do, and I strive at it. Roommate agrees with my analysis, but isn't heeding my treatment plan because it goes against his philosophy of "picking your battles." I've yet to convince him that this is a battle worth fighting.

The weirdest part about all of this is how emotionally taxing this is on me. I have legit anxiety about all of this, and can't even imagine what Roommate is experiencing. (Especially since we're probably finding out tonight if this relationship is continuing or not tonight -gaaaaah!!!) I think it's because I really have been in the trenches, unlike other experiences. This is a good thing though. I've been trying hard to work on my empathy and being in touch with my own and others' emotions. When I was seeing patients last week I was definitely trying to reflect a little more on the situation, instead of letting their neurosis get on my nerves. I've been trying to give Roommate more emotional support as opposed to just rationalizing everything like I generally do. It's definitely weird handling the whole situation in a less "masculine" way. In the past I would probably worry about how I was coming off, not wanting to seem too "gay." But hell, that's exactly what I am and that's exactly what he's getting.

I just hope I don't lose the logical/rational side of me by embracing these new feelings. I wouldn't want to have to change this blog's title to "The Future Izzie Stevens, PA."

No comments: