Monday, June 21, 2010

Running

Eating right, and lifting weights hasn't really been doing much for my weight. For the record I'm not overweight. I'm just not in love with certain aspects about my body, and would just like to work on having a lower body fat percentage.
I have however had improvements with my shoulders and chest. So that's nice. I didn't increase my caloric intake once I started working out, but have incorporated much more protein into my diet, via whey protein. I attribute this to the gross muscle growth.
I have the diet in place - avoid sugar, increase protein. I've got the weight training - hit all muscles groups not just the showy ones. There was just one thing I've been missing - aerobics. I think that because I never do aerobics I never deplete the glycogen reserves in my liver and skeletal muscles. My diet has been enough to help with any repairs my body needs from the weight lifting, but not so much that I've been gaining fat. But what I need is for my body to need to go into the reserves (aka body fat). By running I help deplete those glycogen reserves and make my body go to the body fat for energy.
I have avoided running because I'm a bad pronator. I get horrible leg pains that have always deterred me from running. But I decided I need to change something about what I was doing if I want to see improvements. So I went out to a running store and get fitted for shoes that would help my pronating. The shoes are amazing. I actually enjoy running now. I follow the training method of Doctor Mama to the "t."
The only downside is that I get lots of random aches an pains. They generally subsdie after a day or two and don't return to the same spot. I unfortunately can't say this about the pain in my knees. Coincidentally I'm now learning orthopedics in class. I think I've got some patellafemoral syndrome pain going on. I'm hoping it's going to subside with time, but I've got PT exercises printed out just in case. I also think that for this condition it's okay to treat with NSAIDs. They sure do help, but I reserve them for pre-treating before a run. What I really need to do is starting icing after running.
Tomorrow is a weight in day. Let's hope I continue losing 2 weeks in a row!

No comments: