Friday, August 13, 2010

Phase One: Complete

Friday the 13th. The day of the cumulative didactic year final exam.

I'm sorry that we haven't spoken until now. But to be honest I haven't had anything exciting to talk about this semester of PA school. Well I have become more serious about Buddhism. Maybe I'll talk about that in the future.

Psychiatry, Orthopedics, Geriatrics, Rheumatology, Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics. They've all been completed. I really stopped trying nearly as hard as I did during the rest of the year. And I mean I really didn't work very hard. I would read over the lectures a max of once. I'm sure there were topics I didn't read at all, especially Emergency Medicine and Geriatrics. I also stopped going to lecture once Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics came around. I just can't put my sanity through lecture anymore. You know what? I don't regret it at all. I'm probably going to get a B+ in Medicine III and I'm totally cool with that.

I can't say I'm really that nervous for tomorrow's test. Although I am having a hard time falling asleep tonight, so that's probably not entirely true. (I've also been sleeping until 12PM everyday and going to bed at 2-3AM, so that probably plays a role also) I haven't studied that crazily for this test. I've done well in my Medicine class the entire year. I retain the things I learn very well for the long term. I can't imagine they're going to start asking about the thing I wasn't able to learn for the short term. And as mentioned before, I haven't really been studying for tests this semester. It has yet to bite me in the ass. We'll see what happens.

After the test tomorrow I become a Clinical Year student. Should provide much better material to share with all of you. :-)

2 comments:

kaitlinmak said...

I just recently found your blog and I love it! I was just accepted to PA school this past November and was wondering if you have any tips? I'm going straight from my undergrad graduation to PA school a month later and I'm nervous that I'm going to be behind because I have no "real" clinical experience!

Pending, P.A. said...

In terms of performing in school I don't know if real clinical experience will help that much. When it comes to clinical rotations real experience can help. You may think on your feet a little better, know how to interact with patients better, but honestly you'll pick up on it. Being a student allows you the time to learn these things. Don't fret about not having some experience. Plenty of my friends had none and they're 100% fine.