Saturday, July 17, 2010

CODE BLUE

Today we were getting ACLS certified and I was called upon to be the team leader. Previous to class starting everyone was freaking out memorizing their algorithms during a fire drill. I decided not to cause I'm sick of studying 24/7 and wanted to enjoy my iced latte.

The instructors showed a video that ran through a code a couple of times. Made it look very systematic and methodical. No big deal right? Follow the algorithm. They stressed to use that it's recommended that you carry your algorithm on you even while a practicing PA. How hard could this be?! They're telling me to carry and refer to a cheat sheet.

The class then broke into groups, but we basically were running through codes at each station. The instructors called on different people to be the team leader and use the group for their team members. I got to see a couple of classmates go through it, but no one was very confident and most were stumbling through it.

As most stories go, I then got called on to be team leader. And this is the part were you expect to here about how I crashed and burned after being put on the spot. I would then learn my lesson for being cocky and grow a little as human being.

TWIST!

I fucking rocked it. I set up my team no sweat. Got my ABC's down. Recognized the rhythm and ordered all the right meds and shocks. After I was finished the head instructor praised me for my job well done and said that I was on par with many cardiologists that he teaches.

I basically had a repeat performance with the other two groups. The token hard ass physician instructor called on me to be team leader once. He picked me out after talking about how easy it is to see what people are doing wrong when you're not the team leader. He really thought he was going to get me when the EKG was a Second Degree Type 2 heart block. I got that shit. I knew I got his approval when all he said at the end was "Good work. You're off the hook."

No comments: