Thursday, December 20, 2007

Finals Week

Tomorrow I'm taking my Vertebrate Physiology test. Thank God it's not cumulative. I can't even imagine what that test would be like. Oh wait, exactly like any standardized test taken in medical school, except a 1000x's harder. I'm basically destined to get a B in that class. Not the end of the world, but not that extra boast needed to make a case to get off the wait list at that one school. I'm a B student, always have been, always will be, regardless of what it is I'm doing.

I have my Bioethics final on Friday. Haven't really studied for that yet, and I'm kind of behind on my reading. Should make cramming tomorrow interesting. Again, I'm destined for a B in that class. Which is kind of ridiculous because I'm really very good when it comes to applying ethical theories and critical thinking. I really am so much smarter than my grades show, but no one knows that unless they know me. Everyone in my classes comes to me for the answers like I'm the genius, but they all get better grades than me.

For instance, this girl was asking me to explain the trans-pulmonary pressure difference caused during inhalation. So I'm explaining what the pressure difference really means in terms of (force from particles)/(unit space). As you increase the volume of the inter-pleural space, you decrease the pressure, thus the force on the walls of the membrane. This then allows for the pressure (force) in the alveoli to have a greater effect against the membrane, aka stretch it until the force on both sides is equal. By increasing this volume of the avleovi you decrease the pressure, which allows air from outside to move down the pressure gradient from outside, blah, blah, blah. She still doesn't understand this and says, "I'll just memorize it." She will. And she'll get a better grade than me. Memorizing will get you anywhere in school. Sucks for me! When it comes to applying the information to practical use I would put money down that I would be the best of my year. Have I convinced you that I smart year? No? That's okay, none of the med schools believe me either. Fucking Grades.

Rant over.

So anyway, that's basically why I have a hard time getting into medical school. Cause I'm the shittiest memorizer ever. Comparative Anatomy is going to be a BLAST next semester.

And Jen T. - I don't know what the snow belt even refers to. The lake effect area around the great lakes? Needless to say, no, I'm not from around there.

Soon grades will be coming. I will send my updated transcript to whoever cares to see it, and the final real plans will be made. No more of this impulsive speculation bullshit. I think I'll be most likely spending the summer taking biochem and venepuncture/EKG certification programs. And then afterwards getting a job as a medical assistant and doing that for the year, while applying to PA school. I'm starting to think being a PA would be better for me. Medical school just sounds sooo miserable. And I could easily live the lifestyle I want on a PA income, and I could move on with my life soooo much faster, since PA school is two years and NO RESIDENCY!!!!

Peace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Yes the snow belts are around the great lakes.

What about East Carolina University, they have a excellent med school. NC and SC are so awsome, the weather and cost of living. Just a thought.

Please let me know if I'm annoying you in anyway and i'll go away. I always thought it would be fun to be a dr. I used to live near University of Buffalo and they were an awsome Med/Dental School.
I no longer shovel snow since I moved to NC and there's endless sunshine.



Also, you are finishing exams just before xmas what a bummer. When I was in college we'd get out the week of the 12th. I know those grades are going to bum you out. Have you ever considered Med School might not be where youre desinted? I'm just being realistic. I am a 'grown up now' and I see PA's and Nurse Practioners all the time and they are totally less stressed then the MD's I see. Sadly, I now have grown up health problems.

One more thing, I know Duke, Wake Forest,Baylor, ECU, etc are A list med schools. What are B List med schools? I'm curious. Those TV Shows about Residencies always looked so cool to me.

Anonymous said...

Trust me, I applied to the C list med schools - hence why i don't mention names. I was very, very realistic with the schools i applied to.

And this year's final schedule was atypical. We started the year a week late, because there was some agreement that professors wouldn't start until a certain date in august. fucking unions.

school has been so busy that i not only forgot about christmas coming like, tomorrow! but my birthday is less than 2 weeks away too. guess i forgot that one cause now I'm 22, and I just feel old.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your 20's they go way to fast. It's a time to be confused.

As for the schools, I'll google them. I wouldn't know the difference. Did you look into all your options, chiropractics? osteopathy?? Just some ideas. Is there on season to apply that's better then others? I always try to pick the hot doctors. It's not working lately.

I do not like that armour stuff because I think it looks generic and it's wickedly expensive.

For your car insurance, try geico, they are pretty good until you hit a deer.

Anonymous said...

I applied to osteopathic school only, hence the "D.O." at the end of my title. (Doctor of Osteopathy) Thanks for the suggestion though.

Anonymous said...

What's the difference?