Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Okay, Now Fuck Myself.

2 weeks ago, pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving. Love how they catch me the one time I don't put it on speaker phone.

I'm told be a very reliable source that I should: 1. Buy a headset before the court date. 2. At the hearing I'll be asked if I owned a headset before the ticket. 3. I should respond with a certain answers. And that this will probably end up getting me off.

It seemed too easy, but I was told that it's a "community education" thing, and they're really just trying to get people to buy headsets.

Last night, I drive to Best Buy to get said headset for the "hearing" that was today. While doing that I get into my first car accident that was entirely my fault. Nothing major - I just rear ended a guy at a stop sign cause I thought he was pulling into traffic, and evidently wasn't. I had been to preoccupied looking to see if traffic was clear to move into. I'm so stupid.

Thank God the people were okay, and the only damage done was his car losing a reflector. We got a police report done, and I gave the other driver my name and number and told him to call me in case he notices more damage or anything when it's light outside. Funny enough, the only thing I had to write my number on was an auto repair business car. I insisted to him that my family did not own said company. I got a laugh out of him.

Back to the first car incident.

I go to court this morning, and walk to the "plea counter" after being the only person to set off the metal detector in a line of very, very sketchy individuals. The smells were interesting to say the least.

I pled "not guilty" and made myself look like a moron by asking the woman what the point was of checking "yes" when asked if I wanted a deposition. I'm still not entirely sure why I would check "no" if I pled "not guilty." I'm sure that will come back to bite me in the ass.

The woman then takes my ticket, and in a very authoritative manner stamps it and says without looking at me, "Your court date will be in 3-6 months. You'll receive something in the mail."

WHAT?!?!?!?!? I'm probably not even going to be living hear in 3 months!!!!! I leave the "court room" (read as: ticket counter) totally befuddled, wondering what the hell just happened. I even went back after getting in the elevator to confirm with a court officer that I indeed had to come back again in the distant future. Unfortunately, I was right.

I then get home and decided that this is the right time to see if I would have gotten any points on my license for this offense. The answer is no. I would pay a maximum fine of $100 with a $50 surcharge. When it is all said and done, I will probably end up changing my plea to "guilty" and paying the fine.

So lets recap what I've accomplished. I got into a car accident, which God knows how much it'll cost me. Bought a crappy headset that I'll never use (because I prefer using speakerphone) that cost me $21. Woke up at 6:30AM, when I didn't have to be up until 9AM. And will still probably pay the $150 traffic ticket.

You know what this tells me? I should have been pre-law. Oh... and look forward, if you plan on driving forward.

No comments: