Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stopped Caring and Still Succeeding

We had our Heme/Onc test today. My class threw a fit during the exam review. I personally had no beef with the test. Was it hard? Yes. The answers don't just jump out at you like other subjects. You have lots of lab values to think about before you can come up with an answer. Everyone started blaming the faculty for not preparing us enough and not telling us what to study. Are they kidding me? They give us the objectives and the tests are made from it. If one of the guest lecturers didn't cover an objective then look it up.

I don't know if anyone actually complained that the test wasn't representative of the objectives. I can't comment on this because I didn't even look at the objectives. There is an insane number of objectives. I can't effectively study if I worry about everyone of those objectives. I just study the power point notes and assume that the major stuff will be covered. It's working out okay for me. Not to toot my own horn, but I literally read over the power points once. You can effectively study from them. I didn't see anything on the test that wasn't on the power points. People were claiming that you had to study other classes' materials to do well. Not true.

However, my professor's response to their complaints threw me off the deep end. She was telling us that we HAVE TO DO THE READING and that power points aren't enough to pass. She said that we need to be staying in every weekend and doing work every single night after school. Hey lady, this weekend I didn't leave my dining room table. I literally spent over 24 hours studying last weekend. As for needing to read to pass - that is bull shit. First off, there is NO TIME to do extra reading. The amount of material in the lectures is overwhelming enough. Second off, reading is not required to pass. I'm proof of this. I've never done any of the scheduled reading and I'm doing just fine. The faculty hides behind Reading is necessary for when students call them out on not covering something.

Anyway Pathophys and Heme/Onc were not aced, but comfortably passed. That is the mission objective. Mission accomplished.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

I see that you don't get many comments. Just thought I would leave you one. You are funny and brutally honest, which is why I like reading your blog. Just thought you might like to know that someone is actually reading!