Sunday, August 12, 2007

Fracking Summer Jobs

I don't care for my summer job. I sit a grimy trailer and take tennis courts reservations, give kids mini golf tickets, and listen to every adult complain about the prices and general state of the facilities. It also pays really shitty. So I've started thinking about what I could do differently next summer.

No matter whether I get into a med school or not I'm going to have some meaningless summer job. And lately the hunger to go abroad has been eating away at me. This was probably sparked by the fact that at the last pool party I threw one of my guests brought her two friends from England. Ugh, Loooondon. Then it hit me - oww! - I could have a meaningless job in London for the summer!

I started to do some research and found a program called BUNAC that facilitates students getting Blue Cards and helping them find jobs and living accommodations. The thing that I find really scary is that most people don't find places to live and jobs until AFTER they get there. Participants are required to stay in some hostel for three days and it claims most people find jobs and places to live in that time period. But they do say participants find jobs, and the program seems to be very helpful with the whole progress by having a listings board at their building.

I don't know if I have the balls for this, but I'm going to attack the opportunity with the mindset that if plenty of other people have done this, then so can I. The thing I'm most worried about is meeting people. I want a job where I become friends with my coworkers and do stuff with them. I fear that I'll go to work and come home sitting alone everyday. I also would like to meet actual British people because as silly as that sounds none of my friends that came back from studying in London made friends with locals. So I need to find a job that college students also work. I assume that I won't be able to find a place to live with locales.

I feel like a talk about doing a lot of stuff, but don't actually do anything. But I mean I did go to Italy, and went on that trip to London by myself. I think I've proven to myself that I can handle traveling. I also talked about applying to Ireland for a while and I ended up doing that too. So I guess I am capable of doing this. So the current plan for summer of '08, either London or the Amazing Race. :-/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose the question would be whether or not the school that accepts you is expensive, and what your financial situation is.

Ideally, you want to avoid taking out loans. So if by working some stupid job in the summer, you make enough cash to cut out a significant portion of the loan you may need, it could be worth it.

By working a meaningless job in jolly old England, you will have housing costs cutting into your revenue, as well as the high-cost of living over there, plus airfare and so forth.

Ultimately though, just do whatever is fun for you, most medical students are in debt up to their eyeballs anyway.

Anonymous said...

yeah, debt is debt. i honestly don't think it's going to matter much in the long run whether my graduation money goes towards loans or london. what's 4k when you've got 100's of thousands of dollars worth of debt.