Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Moment of Mental Weakness

Ugh, I think I'm having second thoughts about med school. (the biggest second thought in my life) I think I want to be a PA.

I want to finish this year with the easier classes and fully set for applying and getting into PA school. I want to then take my year off while applying to PA schools next year and get a job as a medical assistant at some practice. Craig's list has lots of these jobs available in my area. And I'm actually well qualified for the jobs cause I have some clinical experience and can definitely do mundane diagnostic tests because of my lab experience.

But do I really want that? Should I finish the secondaries, which I think is just a waste of money at this point?

If I can't see myself applying to med school next year should I bother this year? I feel like this whole situation is a big hint that I should get out of medical school before it's too late. Cause what if I did by some slim chance got into one of my least desirable med schools? I don't even think I would want to go to them at this point. I've totally reconsidered going to school far from home. Well, that's not entirely true. Funny enough I would still go to Ireland, but that's not an option.

What is causing this breakdown? I think medical school might be a much bigger commitment than I anticipated. 4 more years of schooling is just starting to sink in. And then a minimum of 3 years of being a poor resident after that. I want to move on with my life; not wait till I'm 29 to start it.

Maybe I'll get my sanity back next time I talk to you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should ask yourself, if you had a 40 on your MCAT, and a 4.0 GPA (4 is a magic number apparently), would you still be thinking this way? At the same time, I don't feel that it would hurt to seriously consider whether the reasons for your less-than desirable scores are due to extenuating circumstances, or a lack of effort on your part. If it's the latter, you have to decide whether or not you are willing to put in that effort, because trust me, med school is hard. I use to just study right before the tests in my 400 level biochem/physio classes and do fine, but now, I find myself studying constantly.

It seems like you just got one rejection from a DO school and now you're ready to pack up shop and go home.

I would just say to dwell on it and decide whether this rejection is the source of all this reconsideration, or whether you truly don't want to be a doctor and instead an assistant to doctors (at which point you'll have to find a new avatar that's not Dr. House... and I'd hate to see that happen...)

Unless you legitimately want to be a PA and the reason you were applying DO was because you were feeling pressured from outside sources (parents, friends, etc) then I think you should probably just follow this application process through.

*This concludes advice from some random person on the internet about one of the most important choices of your life*