Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring Break '08

Spring break has been pretty uneventful so far, and is likely to remain that way.

For St. Patty's Day I went into "the city" with 6 of my friends. I thought that it was kind of a weird mix of people, even though we're all close friends, but it turned out to be a fantastic night. We've yet to have a bad night when we venture into "the city."

The other day we went to a Dave and Buster's, which i had never heard about. It was a very cool atmosphere. Bowling, bar, food, arcade games (which don't work after I buy credits for them).

An interesting topic has been coming up regularly this break, the man crush. You know when one guy just loooooves hanging out with another guy in a completely non-sexual way. One of my friends seems to have a million man crushes going on at any given time. He just starts obsessing with hanging out with them, getting chicks with them, doing EVERYTHING together. It's kind of funny to witness.

I read an interesting socio-biological journal article about males bonding with each other. They hypothesized that the "man crush" is a way for a lesser man to climb the social ladder by become associated with "higher up" males. They said this this is clearly seen to happen in some primates. It also went a little further saying that this could also lead to sexual relations with males, where the lesser male is generally the submissive of the two. This was very common practice in ancient greece and other old societies. It's even seen a lot today. It is very common in the gay culture for younger men to be attracted to older men, 10+ years. This is especially true for the younger gay males. I have to admit myself that I'm often surprised by how many "older" guys I find attractive. Whether that remains true as I get older is yet to be seen. But still you see this all the time at bars. A guy's "wing man" is often of a "lower rank" than the primary guy. But the wing man seems to be just slightly more desirable because of who he's associated with. Trust me, I'm fully aware that this is not the intent for using wing men, but it's an interesting observation.correlation nonetheless.


PS - all of a sudden I'm getting all these comments. Did I recently leave a comment somewhere that sparked some people wandering over here?

PPS - I'm thinking maybe I'll start writing about some more socio-biological topics, since I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

No comments: