Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Retired and Moving to Florida

Friday was my last day of work. It was a busy day and actually not a pleasant one, so it wasn't a sad departure. It was sad in the fact that I was so busy that I didn't really get to say good bye to anyone. The office wasn't able to gather around to say bye because I was so busy. I ate my departure cake more or less by myself, with maybe 5/20 co-workers. Lame. Oh well, Florida vacation here I come!

So lets see. College: done; EMT Training: done; Getting job: Done; Getting into PA school: Done; Finding roommate/apartment: Done; Moving In: Pending.

Moving is the next great step. I'm trying to get the family clan organized so that this can be done in one great sweeping motion. Tomorrow I'm getting the keys from the landlord. I think next week Roommate said he was going to move a few things in. I'm hoping to meet him there and get things like room layout, tv/internet and utilities things all straightened out. Once that's out of the way I'll know what I need to bring, buy and schedule. I must say I rock at this.

On an entirely different note I've been reading a lot of commentary by nurses and physicians about PAs. Some of the stuff they say use to outrage me. Now I honestly laugh at the misinformation they put out there. NPs making their claims of superiority and Physicians dumbing down the work of PAs. It makes me laugh out loud. My attitude now is they can say what they want about the profession. It really doesn't change the reality of the situation. All these physicians talk about how they could never be intellectually fulfilled doing the work of a PA and that they can't handle not being the final say. You know, that's totally fine - to each their own. I think the fact that I don't have issue working under someone works to my advantage. I say this because when I ask physicians if they would go into medicine again, most say no. PAs say the opposite. So lets see, I could be the final say and be miserable, or work under someone and be happy. I'll take the latter.

I've made a very concerted effort to develop an attitude where I don't have issue asking questions, admitting I'm wrong, willing to try new methods, and letting someone make the final call that I disagree with. You know why I'm cool with my opinions being totally disregarded? Because the blame can never be thrown squarely on me (normally), since I'm not the supervising physician. I will do my best to voice my opinion and have an intelligent discussion. The physician can do with it what he likes. I think I would get more satisfaction in occasionally being the PA that's right, than the physician who's often right during disagreements. I think this attitude of openness to learning from others but at the same being able to diplomatically disagree are going to be my greatest assets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're making great progress and are probably learning a lot about yourself doing it.

good blog.