Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Don't Care If It Is the Most Populous Molecule in the Atmosphere

This is going to sound silly, but I hate Nitrogen. Yes, I'm talking about Nitrogen the element.

Every time Nitrogen is brought up in one of my classes I always get completely lost. And it's not like there is a specific thing about N that's common in the different classes when it's brought up. When I was taking Microbiology and we started talking about Nitrogen fixation I was lost for sure. This is actually one of the reasons I avoid Environmental Science classes at all cost, because N plays such a huge role in it. (Well, that and because I would start killing people when they brought up Global Warming every class.)

In Organic we're covering Amide and Amines and needless to say it's not going well. I don't know what happened. I know I'm not great in Organic, but I generally get what's happening and can figure out how to reach the answers when given them. But I'm looking at the answers to some of the reactions and I just have no idea what's going on. I look through the text for a mechanism to reference, but none of them touch on this specific issue I'm having. I don't know what to do.

Ugh, it's really upsetting that I don't like any of my current science classes. (Oragnic and Physics) I don't know why medschools make you take these classes that really have nothing to do with medicine. I know that I need a background in Organic for Biochem, but honestly do I really need all of this? And the sad thing is I'm getting terrible grades. (C's) But it's not like I don't understand the material. I do understand it, I just can't master it I guess. Should I even need to master this stuff to get into medschool? One reader told me a while back that if I can't handle this then I shouldn't be admitted. That was upsetting, but probably true. Ahh truth; it's a bitch.

When applying to schools I'd really like to say, "Hey I know I keep getting C's in these classes, but they're the one's that aren't related to medicine. And if someone is getting C's in General Chemistry or Orgo1 shouldn't their grades keep going down as the material gets harder? My grades at least stay consistent, which I think at least shows that I "get it." It's not like I'm a moron. And I generally retain what I learn long after I take the class. But why do you only want the students that are aces at Chemistry and Physics. Sure they're difficult, but do they really correlate to clinical material?

Basically I wish the "pre-med courses" meant taking classes that actually resembled medical school classes. Well next year it's nothing but science classes with strong clinical connections. (Vertebrate Physiology, Comparative Anatomy, Genetics, Human Nutrition) I became a BioMed major for these classes, not Physics, Gen Chem and Orgo. Unfortunately the schools that I apply to won't see the grades that I get in these classes because my applications will be in before I take them. Hopefully I do well in them next year and I have a better shot at getting in the second time around. Yeah, I'm planning on not getting in this time around. The question will just be what should I do with that year off?

Okay, back to freaking Hoffmann Elimination Rxn. ugh...

[Edit: PS - My favorite pen just ran out of ink. This work just got a little more painful]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Wannabe: your frustrations are very valid. The current pre-requisites drive me nuts each and every year as we go through the admission process for my medical school. I am still on a mission to at least make a human physiology course a pre-requisite for medical school.

In any case, if it's any consolation I didn't do very well at all in courses such as chemistry and physics and it all worked out in the end.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making me feel less like a whiner.

Anonymous said...

im with you on this one. Nitrogen sucks, it doesn't do much, just makes up the useless part of our atmosphere. it should be renamed uselessinium.