Thursday, March 15, 2007

Wow

Yeah, so you know how I estimated my score on Test #3 to be a 27? Well, I actually got a 27 on Test #4, w00t! And now that I have some tests to get a good idea of what areas I'm weak in I know what to concentrate my studies on. Oh man if I start breaking 30's then I might do something crazy like apply to in-state MD schools. (I'm such a sellout as my friend tells me)

While I was in the library I noticed the person next to me studying from a USMLE and I asked him if he was a medical student, knowing damn well that he was. He had just finished his 2nd year at St. George's in Granada. He said that he liked it down there, but was doing all of his rotations locally. He didn't apply to any DO schools and says that he doesn't regret going to school abroad, but that he also knows that he's "one notch below DOs when applying to residency." He also was filling me in on how much work the first two years are. He said that biochem was rough and that I should probably take it, but at the same time he told me that the people who already took it only "kind of had a head start." Once again, I'm left in limbo on the situation. Still leaning towards no though.

Well, tomorrow starts three days of heavy drinking at night. It's going to be sweet. 5 of my friends and I are visiting a friend at his school and going to a bar for a Beer Pong Tourney. Then Friday is my friend's 21st and his family is supplying all the alcohol and food. It's going to be amazing because price is never a question with them. And then Saturday is St. Patrick's and I claim my birthright as a 100% IRISH 21 year old. SPRING BREAK!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might also consider Ross. Our program takes "qualified" MDs and DOs from this country first, but we've had good luck with Ross. They have a good reputation and also do their clinical years here in the states. Your not a sell-out. I'm a proud DO, but I'd be a proud MD too if I'd applied to my state school first. Like you, I didn't think I would be accepted. Looking back, I would have. Anyhoo, do what's right for you.

Anonymous said...

I am a SGUSOM grad. I had no problems with residencies. I had no problems with the USMLE. I am currently 5 years out of residency in my own practice. St George's has an excellent reputation in the Match and our grads have no problems getting even competitive residencies.

I also have a Master's Degree and took a year of Biochem before med school. It helped TREMENDOUSLY. When you take it in medschool you have to take it all in at once. When you are re-taking it in medschool you are reminding yourself of it. It was great.

Anonymous said...

Fat Doctor commented on my blog!!!!!

I've truly made it.

Anonymous said...

OK, flattery worked. I'm adding you to the blogrolls under med students. Can't believe I've made such an impression. Don't you know I'm a male CIA plumber whose never been to college?