Thursday, July 17, 2008

So This is the Single's Life

One of my top priorities this summer/"year off" was to make some kind of attempt to have a dating life. Although I'm doing slightly better than anticipated, that's still not saying much. I didn't really think I was going to make it to my first gay bar, or start online conversation with strangers. But sometimes I surprise myself.

Going to bars is kind of rough when you don't have anyone to go to bars with, or going with straight girls - that actually draws some strange glares. I've scoured the online dating/gay community thing and I'm not seeing a ton of winners. You wouldn't believe the absolute man whores that are out there. Seriously, do you think being shirtless and looking like an coke addict is suppose to be a turn on? I know it's common for the gays to go through a slutty stage, but I've always been advance for my age, and I'm choosing to skip that grade.

My biggest problem seems to be my location. Living in the suburbs isn't exactly prime real estate for single, college graduate, gay guys. I have a very, very major city nearby, (hint: scroll down a couple of posts) but who the hell wants a 40 minute commute for casual dating? All this tempts me to move to the city, but that's too impractical for me. I'm most likely going to be able to find a job around here after I get my EMT. I'm living rent free. And since I'm planning on going to school next year (and year after) it's probably smarter to save my money, than spend it on rent and other expenses.

I get really excited when I do searches for guys in Dream City. I see lots of desirable guys. But, alas, they are 4 hours away. It also makes me really nervous that this is my only chance to meet these guys. This is irrational though. There is no reason to believe that there won't be an equal variety of desirable men in 1-3 year to come.

So the future looks bright, but where does that leave me in the present? I hate the single's world already. Am I really just going to be sitting in relationship limbo for the next year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, it gets easier. The problem is not finding somebody, it's finding the right somebody. People might think that it's easy being a profressional who just so happens to be gay, it's actually the opposite. I find that it's really hard to trust people because you don't know if they want to be with you because they like you or because they know you're going to make a lot of money one day and it's the lifestyle they're after not the person.