Monday, July 07, 2008

Post-College Depression

I feel as if a lot of my friends who just graduated college are becoming really depressed. I wish I knew how to help them out but I don't. It all makes me feel like I should be depressed, but I'm not. Sure I'm not exactly where I want to be, but I realize that it all takes time and that life changes. You can't have super specific goal that if not achieved will ruin your life. If you keep general goals that you are constantly moving towards then it gives you a feeling of accomplishment. The hard part is figuring out that goal you want to move towards. I think a sense of productivity helps a great deal when combatting depression. And once a goal is met you shouldn't become static. Keep things fresh and have new things you want to accomplish. I'm accepting the fact that I probably will not want to work in medicine forever. I'm too scattered to stay in one profession. I accept this, and don't plan on freaking out if after 10 years in medicine I want to do something new. I need to find projects for my friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always missed college when the semesters were over. I felt like there was a loss when I graduated too. The only depressing part for me was working the same job I had during college, after. Since Western NY's economy is so bad, i eventually had to leave.

If you need a job to get yourself gas money, check out the local banks. Good LUck

Anonymous said...

There is a thread about post-college depression with lots of experiences here:

http://www.lifeaftercollegeforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5