Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ethical Dilemma

Ethics is my thing, especially bioethics. They were my favorite classes in college and I was always well received in the classes. I hope to one day be on a hospital ethics committee. I'm currently taking bioethics, and it sucks. The professor is horrible. I feel she makes his opinions known way to often, which inhibits the class from telling their true feelings. I know a couple of instances where people didn't agree with what was being said in the class and specifically kept it to themselves because the professor made it so clear what (s)he thought about the issue.

The other day we had an online discussion assignment asking if we thought a patient was mentally capable to make decisions or not. Most of the class went on a tangent and answered the question by saying what they would do as the PA. There was no vagueness to this question. It clearly said, "Do you agree that this patient in mentally capable and explain?" When I read people's responses going into the details of the actions they would do, I cringed. That wasn't the question.

I thought I really killed it. I kept it within the 250 word limit. Directly answered the question and clearly explained how I came to this conclusion. 1-2-3. My response got the most replies of anyone else, and most everyone praised me for the analogy I used. One of the few people who did not was the professor. In short, the professor shat on me.

But his/her criticism was that I didn't take into account societal effects on my decision. (S)he basically didn't like my opinion on why I wouldn't have the person committed. THAT WASN'T THE QUESTION. The professor loved all the answers where people regurgitated the stupid sayings the professor had in class and showed that they cared a lot about what happened outside the clinic to third parties. I could have had a whole discussion on how the actions of the patient outside the clinic do matter at all, but I'll save it SINCE THAT'S NOT THE QUESTION.

AHHHHHH!!!!! This professor is from now on called Prof. Biased.

I e-mailed Prof. Biased highlighting my intentions in the answer and trying to avoid reading more into my answer than intended. No professor, I didn't try to argue whether it's moral to have her committed since that wasn't asked. So don't assume I was trying to do that because everyone else in the class did.

No comments: