Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Class Etiquette: Grade bitching

Our class recently got back a SOAP note assignment. Many people failed. But many more weren't happy with their passing grades. It was an ugly scene. I think it was interesting that the people that didn't fail complained way more about their grade than those who didn't. I'm not surprised about this because the people that complain about grades are generally the more OCD, whiney, gunner students. It therefore makes sense that they were the ones that passed. But for the love of god people don't say things like:

I can't believe the grade I got. I practically copied what someone else did and they got 15 more points than me. With this grade I have a 97 average and I mean that's only 3 point away from not getting an A. There is no reason someone shouldn't get an A in Clinical Application. But you know I really don't care that much about grades.

OMG. STFU. The entire class doesn't want to hear you go on and on and on about your passing grade. Grades don't matter. Your grades especially don't matter to me. And don't tell me you don't care about grades when all you do is bitch about your grades and compare them with other students'.

I was one of the people who failed. I'm fairly indifferent about this. Grades really don't matter when it comes to getting a job. I definitely learned a lot from this assignment. I think it was a positive experience overall. I think things stick with you more when you get them wrong, and then realize why you're wrong. That's not to say that people should aim to get things wrong... But I wish some of my classmates would care more about the comments left on their paper and less about the number on the top.

No comments: