Monday, April 12, 2010

Military?

For a few years the idea of being a military PA has always crossed my mind. I have no idea why. I don't come from a military family. The only members that have been in the armed forced are my grandfathers who were drafted. Unfortunately the only one who saw action died before I could get to know him. So I don't even really know what military life is like. I'm seriously perplexed as to why this interest keeps popping up.

I really have no interest in seeing any action. In fact I would try my hardest to pick the safest branch of the military possible, without having to work in family medicine. Nothing in the world could be worse that working family medicine.

When I think about the areas of medicine I'm interested in (Critical Care, ER, Hospitalist) it might make some sense. I really only want to see sick patients. I want to treat people that actually need medical attention. Clearly in the military you would be seeing this. I don't have a huge reserve for seeing patients that just like to bitch and moan and just like the idea of being sick, as opposed to wanting to know how to get better.

I'm definitely not going to rush into anything. How about we wait until a graduate and pass the PANCE. We'll see what kind of job offers I get and if I'm doing anything with my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have no first hand knowledge of being a PA in the military, but have spoken with a couple that have. They loved it- of course most of them were military looking to do something else within the military. The military is offering some sweet financial deals to those who join- as in 40,000/yr for the first two years and 20,000/yr for two additional years on top of your salary and housing stipend. It is likely you will be send overseas (if male) if you join the Army though.