Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scared of the NP

I have my annual physical coming up. I have to use my school's health center, because I use my school's insurance and they call the shots. My school has a large nursing program and the student health center I think is run entirely by NPs. I personally have no beef with NPs. This is unfortunately not the case on their end.

Almost every nurse I've met has given me shit about being a PA student. They all question why I would want to be a PA and "never work under your own license." Little do they know I will have my own medical license. I honestly don't even know why they care. They think that because I chose PA over RN/NP that I'm saying it's better than them. How about the fact that I was never a nurse to begin with, so why would I go through that extra training? Also, I don't want to be an RN. I never want to have to work as an RN. It's a thankless, miserable job. I respect RNs, but I definitely don't want to have to do what they do. Hell I did do what they do when I was a medical assistant. I literally had the same responsibilities as the actual nurse at my job, and it SUCKED.

So I know that I don't actually have to worry about how my physical exam is going to go. But I would really prefer if they didn't know I was a PA student. Unfortunately my pages of paper work that I need them to fill out is going to give it away.

womp womp.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man hows it going?
I am actually a Registered Nurse and getting ready to start PA school. I agree, I don't know why nurses are so concerned with why we are becoming PAs. Anyway RN jobs aren't too bad, just depends on who you work with really. I work in a hospital though, so I am not sure if your experiences were similar as a MA. The clinic is probably similar though between MA and RN.

Anonymous said...

My fiance is a nurse in the hospital. From what I have seen on rotations as far as what MAs/Clinic RNs do vs. what she does, it is COMPLETELY different for the most part. An MA wouldn't have a chance in the hospital setting these days. Yet, hospital nurses still don't get too much thanks for it. But I agree, that is why I went to PA school and not NP. I never wanted to be a nurse. Nothing against that profession. I just always wanted to make the decision of what happens to the patient.

Gregory House, PA-C said...

I really didn't mean to imply that I was doing the work of a hospital nurse, more of a private practice type nurse. I literally was doing the same job. I was totally under-qualified for some of it. The main sentiment of it was that it was a thankless job that I can relate to.