Monday, April 12, 2010

Sticklers

I just did my neuro physical exam practical. It overall went fine. I think it's amazing how strictly we're graded on Barbara Bate's method. For instance, to test for light touch I lightly touched my patient with my hammer. I got points off because a hammer isn't considered light. Last time I checked the hammer isn't exerting a force on its own. The pressure I supply determines whether it's light or not. But alas, I got point off for that.

There are some things we never have to perform and just need to describe such as taking femoral pulse, creamasteric reflex and anal wink reflex. They will give me full credit for describing how to do the test, but when I forget a paper clip I get no credit for describing how to perform 2-point discrimination perfectly. I guess the joke is on them since I have never successfully found a femoral pulse, yet the grade says I have.

Vent over. Be present. Be the Buddha.

No comments: